In 1991 Norm Abram, the amiable carpenter sidekick on This Old House, began building a home of his own and writing an account of the project, from site selection to moving day. In Norm Abram’s New House, his prose is as clean and true as his woodworking, though he provides more detail than most readers will need (brace yourself for sentences like ”I planned to install, on the inside surface of the studs, a solid blanket of inch-thick, foil-faced, rigid polyisocyanurate insulation”). This New House could use a glossary, more illustrations, and more leavening moments such as the scene in which a parrot introduces himself by hopping on Abram’s desk and saying ”Work, work, work.” Tracy Kidder’s House remains the grand palace of this genre, but Norm’s TV fans will feel at home. B
Norm Abram's New House In 1991 Norm Abram, the amiable carpenter sidekick on This Old House, began building a home of his own and writing an account of the project,...Norm Abram's New HouseMemoir, NonfictionNorm Abram In 1991 Norm Abram, the amiable carpenter sidekick on This Old House, began building a home of his own and writing an account of the project,...1995-06-30
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Norm Abram
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Play 'Pac-Man' around the world in Google Maps
- Showtime renews 'House of Lies' for fifth season
- Linda Lavin to return to Broadway in 'Our Mother's Brief Affair'
- Fox's 'Weird Loners' aren't quite weird or lonely enough
- 'Arrow'-'Flash' spinoff's role for Caity Lotz? Let's theorize...
- Beastie Boys' Adam Horovitz gives relationship advice in 'Ask a Grown Man'
- 'Ellen,' 'GH' lead Daytime Emmy noms
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!