In 1991 Norm Abram, the amiable carpenter sidekick on This Old House, began building a home of his own and writing an account of the project, from site selection to moving day. In Norm Abram’s New House, his prose is as clean and true as his woodworking, though he provides more detail than most readers will need (brace yourself for sentences like ”I planned to install, on the inside surface of the studs, a solid blanket of inch-thick, foil-faced, rigid polyisocyanurate insulation”). This New House could use a glossary, more illustrations, and more leavening moments such as the scene in which a parrot introduces himself by hopping on Abram’s desk and saying ”Work, work, work.” Tracy Kidder’s House remains the grand palace of this genre, but Norm’s TV fans will feel at home. B
Norm Abram's New House In 1991 Norm Abram, the amiable carpenter sidekick on This Old House, began building a home of his own and writing an account of the project,...Norm Abram's New HouseMemoir, NonfictionNorm Abram In 1991 Norm Abram, the amiable carpenter sidekick on This Old House, began building a home of his own and writing an account of the project,...1995-06-30
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Norm Abram
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!