According to Apollo 13’s Ed Harris, who portrays Watergate burglar E. Howard Hunt in Oliver Stone’s Nixon biopic, history is not about to repeat itself. ”[Nixon] won’t cause the same controversies [as JFK],” says Harris. ”It’s a great script, and a very fair look at this guy. It doesn’t applaud him, but it doesn’t condemn him.” In fact, the set was buzzing not with Watergate conspiracy theories but with Anthony Hopkins’ transformation into Nixon. ”It was great to watch him getting this guy down,” says Harris. ”Some of the moments would be startling. James Woods [who plays H.R. Haldeman] said Hopkins was just blowing his mind.” Harris, however, had a much harder time getting to the heart of Hunt. ”What research?” laughs the actor. ”These guys were pretty secretive. Let’s just say there’s not a lot of interviews and footage on my character — until later, of course.”
Posted June 30 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- Mike Huckabee posts support for Duggars
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!