What’s perennial talk-show host Dick Cavett doing in Apollo 13? He’ll be darned if he knows. ”I’m happily enjoying a movie, and suddenly I’m in it,” says Cavett. It’s not so surprising considering Apollo 13 star Tom Hanks is a longtime fan. In fact, he crossed paths with Cavett (and John Lennon) last summer in Forrest Gump, too. ”Tom is an idiot savant on the subject of my old shows,” says Cavett. ”He didn’t think he ever missed one — he could do guest lists. He must have wasted his entire youth.” Cavett says he’s glad that someone remembers his years on TV, because his 1970 Apollo monologue doesn’t ring a bell. ”But,” he jokes, ”that would go for hundreds of shows.”
Posted July 21 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 21 nonfiction books to look forward to this fall
- 'Sherlock' men look stylish in first season 4 photo
- John Krasinski, Stephen Colbert pretend to puke to Shakespeare
- Emeril Lagasse previews 'delicious' new Amazon series, 'Eat the World'
- 'Whose billy goat is this?' guys to sing about other animals
- Seth Meyers: Global warming made Earth 'the Donald Trump of planets'
- ABC renews deal to broadcast the Oscars through 2028