What’s perennial talk-show host Dick Cavett doing in Apollo 13? He’ll be darned if he knows. ”I’m happily enjoying a movie, and suddenly I’m in it,” says Cavett. It’s not so surprising considering Apollo 13 star Tom Hanks is a longtime fan. In fact, he crossed paths with Cavett (and John Lennon) last summer in Forrest Gump, too. ”Tom is an idiot savant on the subject of my old shows,” says Cavett. ”He didn’t think he ever missed one — he could do guest lists. He must have wasted his entire youth.” Cavett says he’s glad that someone remembers his years on TV, because his 1970 Apollo monologue doesn’t ring a bell. ”But,” he jokes, ”that would go for hundreds of shows.”
Posted July 21 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!