It’s the never-ending dilemma for most modern women: family versus career. It’s also an issue that is rarely discussed. Luckily, however, there are women willing to speak honestly about their own experiences (and failures) in trying to balance the two sides of their lives. And luckily, journalist Elsa Walsh has found three of them, and given each an opportunity to tell her story: television correspondent Meredith Vieira; conductor and first lady of West Virginia Rachael Worby; and breast surgeon Dr. Alison Estabrook. Although each of their stories is particular to its subject, the three share certain universal themes and, taken together, convincingly paint a complete picture of an essential women’s issue. Women should read Divided Lives and take heart, and men should read it and take note. A-
Divided Lives It's the never-ending dilemma for most modern women: family versus career. It's also an issue that is rarely discussed. Luckily, however, there are...Divided LivesNonfiction, Women's StudiesElsa Walsh It's the never-ending dilemma for most modern women: family versus career. It's also an issue that is rarely discussed. Luckily, however, there are...1995-08-04Simon & Schuster
Genre: Nonfiction, Women's Studies; Author: Elsa Walsh; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the Disney Channel tale about junior villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!