It’s the never-ending dilemma for most modern women: family versus career. It’s also an issue that is rarely discussed. Luckily, however, there are women willing to speak honestly about their own experiences (and failures) in trying to balance the two sides of their lives. And luckily, journalist Elsa Walsh has found three of them, and given each an opportunity to tell her story: television correspondent Meredith Vieira; conductor and first lady of West Virginia Rachael Worby; and breast surgeon Dr. Alison Estabrook. Although each of their stories is particular to its subject, the three share certain universal themes and, taken together, convincingly paint a complete picture of an essential women’s issue. Women should read Divided Lives and take heart, and men should read it and take note. A-
Divided Lives It's the never-ending dilemma for most modern women: family versus career. It's also an issue that is rarely discussed. Luckily, however, there are...Divided LivesNonfiction, Women's StudiesElsa Walsh It's the never-ending dilemma for most modern women: family versus career. It's also an issue that is rarely discussed. Luckily, however, there are...1995-08-04Simon & Schuster
Genre: Nonfiction, Women's Studies; Author: Elsa Walsh; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!