”This is a film about trickery…fraud…lies,” intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious rumination on the illusiveness of art. To support his thinking out loud, Welles documents the deeds of art forger Elmyr de Hory and fraudulent Howard Hughes ”biographer” Clifford Irving. Along the way, he indulges in his own cinematic trickery to prove how easy it is to get away with a lie. Sometimes all this is provocative; sometimes it’s just tedious. Never, however, does this rambling narrative pin down its point. Finally available on video, it’s a curio only a Welles completist could love. C
F for Fake ''This is a film about trickery...fraud...lies,'' intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious...F for FakeDocumentaryOja Palinkas, Orson WellesUnrated ''This is a film about trickery...fraud...lies,'' intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious...1995-08-04
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Orson Welles; Director: Orson Welles; Author: Oja Palinkas, Orson Welles; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for the Rutgers' class of 2015
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!