”This is a film about trickery…fraud…lies,” intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious rumination on the illusiveness of art. To support his thinking out loud, Welles documents the deeds of art forger Elmyr de Hory and fraudulent Howard Hughes ”biographer” Clifford Irving. Along the way, he indulges in his own cinematic trickery to prove how easy it is to get away with a lie. Sometimes all this is provocative; sometimes it’s just tedious. Never, however, does this rambling narrative pin down its point. Finally available on video, it’s a curio only a Welles completist could love. C
F for Fake ''This is a film about trickery...fraud...lies,'' intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious...F for FakeDocumentaryOja Palinkas, Orson WellesUnrated ''This is a film about trickery...fraud...lies,'' intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious...1995-08-04
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Orson Welles; Director: Orson Welles; Author: Oja Palinkas, Orson Welles; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!