”This is a film about trickery…fraud…lies,” intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious rumination on the illusiveness of art. To support his thinking out loud, Welles documents the deeds of art forger Elmyr de Hory and fraudulent Howard Hughes ”biographer” Clifford Irving. Along the way, he indulges in his own cinematic trickery to prove how easy it is to get away with a lie. Sometimes all this is provocative; sometimes it’s just tedious. Never, however, does this rambling narrative pin down its point. Finally available on video, it’s a curio only a Welles completist could love. C
F for Fake ''This is a film about trickery...fraud...lies,'' intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious...F for FakeDocumentaryOja Palinkas, Orson WellesUnrated ''This is a film about trickery...fraud...lies,'' intones host (and director) Orson Welles to begin F For Fake, his pretentious...1995-08-04
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Orson Welles; Director: Orson Welles; Author: Oja Palinkas, Orson Welles; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to 'Carmelo Anthony' and Jesse Eisenberg read from 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- Nina Dobrev, Matt McGorry, and more advocate for sexual consent in 'It's On Us' campaign
- 'Survivor' players reveal whom they want out of the game first
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!