”I tell stories to prove I was meant to survive,” writes Dorothy Allison in this slim memoir. Poetic and allusive rather than chronological, Two or Three Things I Know For Sure touches on Allison’s sexual abuse as a child, her tangled family, and her lesbianism — themes that drove her best-selling autobiographical novel, Bastard Out of Carolina. Because the book declines to sort out childhood truths from literary fictions, it may frustrate readers in search of a tell-all: Allison mentions seeing her abusive stepfather at her mother’s recent funeral but not how she felt about him. She doesn’t even discuss her decision to have a child or how it’s changed her life. Focusing instead on her writing as a lifeline, Allison eloquently reveals as much about her art as her past, at times tapping into an unexpected — and not entirely welcome — vein of righteousness that’s absent from her fiction. A-
Two or Three Things I Know for Sure ''I tell stories to prove I was meant to survive,'' writes Dorothy Allison in this slim memoir. Poetic and allusive rather than chronological, Two or Three Things I Know for SureWomen's Studies, MemoirDorothy Allison ''I tell stories to prove I was meant to survive,'' writes Dorothy Allison in this slim memoir. Poetic and allusive rather than chronological, 1995-08-04Dutton Adult
Genre: Women's Studies, Memoir; Author: Dorothy Allison; Publisher: Dutton Adult
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!