”I tell stories to prove I was meant to survive,” writes Dorothy Allison in this slim memoir. Poetic and allusive rather than chronological, Two or Three Things I Know For Sure touches on Allison’s sexual abuse as a child, her tangled family, and her lesbianism — themes that drove her best-selling autobiographical novel, Bastard Out of Carolina. Because the book declines to sort out childhood truths from literary fictions, it may frustrate readers in search of a tell-all: Allison mentions seeing her abusive stepfather at her mother’s recent funeral but not how she felt about him. She doesn’t even discuss her decision to have a child or how it’s changed her life. Focusing instead on her writing as a lifeline, Allison eloquently reveals as much about her art as her past, at times tapping into an unexpected — and not entirely welcome — vein of righteousness that’s absent from her fiction. A-
Two or Three Things I Know for Sure ''I tell stories to prove I was meant to survive,'' writes Dorothy Allison in this slim memoir. Poetic and allusive rather than chronological, Two or Three Things I Know for SureWomen's Studies, MemoirDorothy Allison ''I tell stories to prove I was meant to survive,'' writes Dorothy Allison in this slim memoir. Poetic and allusive rather than chronological, 1995-08-04Dutton Adult
Genre: Women's Studies, Memoir; Author: Dorothy Allison; Publisher: Dutton Adult
Posted August 4 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!