It’s not hard to figure why Heavyweights, a comedy about a camp for fat boys went belly up at the box office. Starting out as a standard kiddie romp, it suddenly veers into Camp Hell mode, with Ben Stiller playing a self-styled fitness guru who runs the place like a sadistic drill sergeant. Things get even less funny when the youngsters rebel, lock Stiller in an electrified cage, and then pig out on pizza. What’s the message here, anyway? Of course, we still get the standard feel-good finale, in which the heavyweights defeat rival junior hardbodies in an interminably long relay race. It’s all so heavyhanded it leaves a viewer heavy-hearted. D+
Heavyweights It's not hard to figure why Heavyweights, a comedy about a camp for fat boys went belly up at the box office. Starting out as a...HeavyweightsComedySteven BrillPT100MPG It's not hard to figure why Heavyweights, a comedy about a camp for fat boys went belly up at the box office. Starting out as a...1995-08-11
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Aaron Schwartz, Ben Stiller; Director: Steven Brill; Author: Steven Brill; Release Date Wide: 02/15/1995; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Pokémon Go' gets the Honest Trailer treatment
- Radiohead played 'Let Down' for first time in a decade
- James Corden's parents cover WWE Monday Night Raw
- Shonda Rhimes on 'Scandal': 'I never said this was the final season'
- Morrissey reveals world tour dates
- Billy Ray Cyrus comedy 'Still the King' renewed by CMT
- Cartoon Hillary Clinton pokes fun of DNC drama with Stephen Colbert
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years