The trend toward New Ageism and political correctness is irresistible fodder for novelists of the sardonic type; for someone like Francine Prose, it’s the equivalent of a gold mine. Thus her latest novel, Hunters and Gatherers, begins with Martha, a fashion-magazine fact checker recently dumped by her boyfriend, hanging out on the beach at Fire Island only to be co-opted by a group of ”Goddess worshippers” when she rescues their leader, Isis Moonwagon, from drowning in the sea. Although Martha, who claims not to be passionate about anything, maintains a certain analytic distance from her new friends, she is also drawn to them and hovers on the fringes of their world, attending witches’ ceremonies and assorted other mystical events. The plot fairly reeks of sarcasm — how else, after all, is one to take women who have renamed themselves Titania, Hegwitha, and Freya? But Martha can’t decide whether or not to take her new friends seriously, which means that neither can the reader. In the end, the ore that Prose has found seems less a precious metal than pyrite. B+
Hunters and Gatherers The trend toward New Ageism and political correctness is irresistible fodder for novelists of the sardonic type; for someone like Francine Prose, it's...Hunters and GatherersFiction, Sci-fi and FantasyFrancine Prose The trend toward New Ageism and political correctness is irresistible fodder for novelists of the sardonic type; for someone like Francine Prose, it's...1995-08-11Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Author: Francine Prose; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Liam from One Direction sing 14 seconds of 'Wonderwall'
- A first look at the inaugural issue of Rosy Press' Fresh Romance -- exclusive
- 'Furious 7' screenwriter gives update on 'Legend of Conan'
- Jenny Lewis makes Vanessa Bayer cry on 'Sound Advice'
- Listen to an exclusive clip from Paolo Bacigalupi's 'The Water Knife'
- Broadway’s 'King Charles III' casts Prince William, Harry, Kate
- 'Walking Dead' actor would love to play Spider-Man
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!