National Public Radio commentator Andrei Codrescu rents an old red Cadillac and does the Kerouac thing in Road Scholar. Along the way, he communes with the Statue of Liberty (contrasting it with a gigantic Stalin effigy equipped with an electrified pigeon shield, which was consequently surrounded by dead birds), a band of crack-addicted Haitian squatters who turn out to be true patriots, and a few too many New Age crystalheads. With this droll Transylvanian-born Jewish poet behind the wheel, most of the stopovers are worth the trip. B
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Andrei Codrescu; Director: Roger Weisberg; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters