Robert Mapplethorpe: An Overview is a wondrous gallery of more than 450 works. It shies away from the late photographer’s more explicit photos, which created a storm of controversy when Congress was debating government funding of the arts six years ago. (Those stills will soon be available on an expanded Digital Collections disc — Robert Mapplethorpe: The Controversy.) Click through lush black-and-white pictures to get an intimate sense of Mapplethorpe as sentimental studio photographer. See striking subjects, including Patti Smith as tough, hip rocker, then fragile, introspective poet. Follow the well-written audio narration and encounter the complex man, not only the embattled artist. B
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!