Robert Mapplethorpe: An Overview is a wondrous gallery of more than 450 works. It shies away from the late photographer’s more explicit photos, which created a storm of controversy when Congress was debating government funding of the arts six years ago. (Those stills will soon be available on an expanded Digital Collections disc — Robert Mapplethorpe: The Controversy.) Click through lush black-and-white pictures to get an intimate sense of Mapplethorpe as sentimental studio photographer. See striking subjects, including Patti Smith as tough, hip rocker, then fragile, introspective poet. Follow the well-written audio narration and encounter the complex man, not only the embattled artist. B
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First teaser for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!