Robert Mapplethorpe: An Overview is a wondrous gallery of more than 450 works. It shies away from the late photographer’s more explicit photos, which created a storm of controversy when Congress was debating government funding of the arts six years ago. (Those stills will soon be available on an expanded Digital Collections disc — Robert Mapplethorpe: The Controversy.) Click through lush black-and-white pictures to get an intimate sense of Mapplethorpe as sentimental studio photographer. See striking subjects, including Patti Smith as tough, hip rocker, then fragile, introspective poet. Follow the well-written audio narration and encounter the complex man, not only the embattled artist. B
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' Celebration panel on 'Rogue One' and other stand-alones: We're live blogging it
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!