Robert Mapplethorpe: An Overview is a wondrous gallery of more than 450 works. It shies away from the late photographer’s more explicit photos, which created a storm of controversy when Congress was debating government funding of the arts six years ago. (Those stills will soon be available on an expanded Digital Collections disc — Robert Mapplethorpe: The Controversy.) Click through lush black-and-white pictures to get an intimate sense of Mapplethorpe as sentimental studio photographer. See striking subjects, including Patti Smith as tough, hip rocker, then fragile, introspective poet. Follow the well-written audio narration and encounter the complex man, not only the embattled artist. B
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Flash' boss on heartbreaking premiere twist
- Jay Leno to 'sub in' for Jimmy Fallon during 'The Tonight Show' monologue
- Charlotte Hornets guard Jeremy Lin to guest on 'Fresh Off the Boat'
- See Blake Lively's audition for 'Gossip Girl'
- Bob Dylan and IBM's Watson get tangled up in new ad
- Duplass brothers launch first-ever Oscar bid for transgender stars
- Larry Brezner, former manager of Robin Williams, dies at 73