If you love the grit of soil under your nails and the grind of a traditional farm workday, but you’d rather read about it than do it, then Don Kurtz’s fine first novel, South of the Big Four, is for you. With family farms dying out all over, 30-year-old Arthur Conason returns to his dad’s old spread to work for Gerry Maars, who now farms the land. Maars is the kind of American for whom nothing exists in life but the work to be done. (”Hell of a shame to lose a man like Al,” says Maars of a recent death. ”Especially this time a year, when we’re so damn busy.”) But he can’t adapt to the modern world, and like the family farm, he’s doomed to extinction. Though Kurtz’s prose is as flat and unsurprising as Midwest cropland, and his narrative meanders like a lazy creek on level ground, he’s still thinking and making us think the whole time. The up close intimacy of this painful Indiana tale survives. B
South of the Big Four If you love the grit of soil under your nails and the grind of a traditional farm workday, but you'd rather read about it than do it, then Don Kurtz's...South of the Big FourFictionDon Kurtz If you love the grit of soil under your nails and the grind of a traditional farm workday, but you'd rather read about it than do it, then Don Kurtz's...1995-08-11
Genre: Fiction; Author: Don Kurtz
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- Jimmy Kimmel unveils new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- Jason Sudeikis plays Drinko with Jimmy Fallon on 'The Tonight Show'
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!