With its underground-comic-book pedigree, heavily touted soundtrack, and plentitude of irreverent attitude, Tank Girl came to theaters with a built-in marketing strategy for super-hip, ultradetached youth. But this rambling mess turned into the Can’t Stop the Music of alternative rock, as audiences shunned its incoherence and self-obsession. Whole sections seem to be missing from this postapocalyptic tale of a smart-ass gal who takes on an evil water utility. Meanwhile, Lori Petty and Malcolm McDowell created more chemistry during their Good Morning America promotional appearance than they ever do in the movie. D
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Malcolm McDowell, Lori Petty, Ice-T, Iggy Pop, Naomi Watts; Director: Rachel Talalay; Release Date Wide: 03/31/1995; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Waid and J.G. Jones preview powerful historically based comic, 'Strange Fruit'
- All the breakout artists Zane Lowe highlighted during his debut show on Beats 1
- James Gunn absolutely loved 'Ant-Man'
- Gay Men's Chorus of L.A. covers Britney Spears' 'Work Bitch'
- Cheryl Burke quits as Miss USA cohost
- Aquaman named 'most toxic superhero' to search for online
- Jeremy Renner on J.Lo jokes, gay rumors, and how 'Avengers' nearly killed him
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!