With its underground-comic-book pedigree, heavily touted soundtrack, and plentitude of irreverent attitude, Tank Girl came to theaters with a built-in marketing strategy for super-hip, ultradetached youth. But this rambling mess turned into the Can’t Stop the Music of alternative rock, as audiences shunned its incoherence and self-obsession. Whole sections seem to be missing from this postapocalyptic tale of a smart-ass gal who takes on an evil water utility. Meanwhile, Lori Petty and Malcolm McDowell created more chemistry during their Good Morning America promotional appearance than they ever do in the movie. D
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Malcolm McDowell, Lori Petty, Ice-T, Iggy Pop, Naomi Watts; Director: Rachel Talalay; Release Date Wide: 03/31/1995; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Brandy teases new music: 'An album is definitely in the works'
- Exclusive 'Walking Dead' reunion of deceased characters
- Supermodels become superheroes in Marvel's new collaboration
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Outlander' season 2 trailer, premiere date revealed
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Grey's' star explains social media brand
- Kristen Stewart and Nicholas Hoult are dystopian lovers in new 'Equals' trailer
- Ryan Reynolds pranked Blake Lively while she was in labor
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere