It was the Velvet Underground that fully ushered a darker musical persona into ’60s rock — a counterpoint to the saccharine of psychedelia. Manic and mercurial, charming and petty, Lou Reed was the Velvet whose own life most closely mirrored the group’s vivid, abrasive art. Victor Bockris has written a very readable portrait of a man ”growing up in public,” one whose life and career are interwoven, the stuff of an ongoing musical autobiography like Transformer: The Lou Reed Story. A biographer of Keith Richards and William S. Burroughs, Bockris studies Reed’s life in flight from his Long Island, N.Y., home and parents he alternately rejected and adored; his drift into Andy Warhol’s wild orbit; his clashes with John Cale; and his painful emergence as a solo artist. Blending informed biographical narrative with abundant quotes and a dishy, conversational style, Bockris captures the many moods — and mood swings — of a true rock & roll chameleon. A-
Transformer: The Lou Reed Story It was the Velvet Underground that fully ushered a darker musical persona into '60s rock — a counterpoint to the saccharine of psychedelia. Manic...Transformer: The Lou Reed StoryMusic, BiographyVictor Bockris It was the Velvet Underground that fully ushered a darker musical persona into '60s rock — a counterpoint to the saccharine of psychedelia. Manic...1995-08-11Simon & Schuster
Genre: Music, Biography; Author: Victor Bockris; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted August 11 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Max Greenfield will check in to 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with killer single 'Trust You,' shares details of new solo album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!