Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father’s death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes, ”I want to warn people: don’t underestimate filial grief…. I used to think the world divided between those who have children and those who don’t; now I think it divides between those who’ve lost a parent and those whose parents are still alive.” Arthur Morrison, a doctor, dies just weeks after diagnosis, and his rapid decline is described by his son in unflinching, macabre detail. The deathwatch is interspersed with dreamlike chapters set in the past that end up bringing the entire family — particularly the father — into high relief and creating a strong sense of sympathy in the reader. Morrison delicately explores family tensions as well as his resentments against his father, who was a domineering, often self-serving man. This powerful memoir may well be consecrated to the canon of father/son literature. A
And When Did You Last See Your Father? Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father's death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes,...And When Did You Last See Your Father?Nonfiction, MemoirBlake Morrison Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father's death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes,...1995-08-18Picador USA
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Blake Morrison; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!