Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father’s death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes, ”I want to warn people: don’t underestimate filial grief…. I used to think the world divided between those who have children and those who don’t; now I think it divides between those who’ve lost a parent and those whose parents are still alive.” Arthur Morrison, a doctor, dies just weeks after diagnosis, and his rapid decline is described by his son in unflinching, macabre detail. The deathwatch is interspersed with dreamlike chapters set in the past that end up bringing the entire family — particularly the father — into high relief and creating a strong sense of sympathy in the reader. Morrison delicately explores family tensions as well as his resentments against his father, who was a domineering, often self-serving man. This powerful memoir may well be consecrated to the canon of father/son literature. A
And When Did You Last See Your Father? Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father's death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes,...And When Did You Last See Your Father?Nonfiction, MemoirBlake Morrison Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father's death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes,...1995-08-18Picador USA
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Blake Morrison; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted August 18 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!