Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father’s death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes, ”I want to warn people: don’t underestimate filial grief…. I used to think the world divided between those who have children and those who don’t; now I think it divides between those who’ve lost a parent and those whose parents are still alive.” Arthur Morrison, a doctor, dies just weeks after diagnosis, and his rapid decline is described by his son in unflinching, macabre detail. The deathwatch is interspersed with dreamlike chapters set in the past that end up bringing the entire family — particularly the father — into high relief and creating a strong sense of sympathy in the reader. Morrison delicately explores family tensions as well as his resentments against his father, who was a domineering, often self-serving man. This powerful memoir may well be consecrated to the canon of father/son literature. A
And When Did You Last See Your Father? Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father's death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes,...And When Did You Last See Your Father?Nonfiction, MemoirBlake Morrison Near the end of the haunting memoir And When Did You Last See Your Father? about his father's death from cancer, Blake Morrison writes,...1995-08-18Picador USA
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Blake Morrison; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted August 18 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens drops new album
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- Mariah and me(?!) on stage in Las Vegas: Tweet dreams are made of this...
- Ask the Movie Critic: Chris Nashawaty wants to hear from YOU
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!