One of England’s premier novelists, Julian Barnes (Flaubert’s Parrot) has been The New Yorker’s London correspondent since 1989, and Letters From London, the first collection of his missives, is a clear example of why he was an excellent choice. Barnes covers his territory with a dry wit and irreverence that remains distinctly English. Part investigative journalism, part extended essay, part opinionated posturing, the 15 pieces in this collection reveal as much of Barnes’ humor and canniness as they do the inner machinations of a country that once ruled the waves. He comes off best when he takes a satiric stance, as in ”Traffic Jam at Buckingham Palace,” his biting, tongue-firmly-in-cheek look at the royal family (”Queen Mother. Top Royal. The nation’s favorite granny. Gracious, smiling, professional, still carries off pastel colors even at an advanced age”). Not to be missed. A
Letters From London One of England's premier novelists, Julian Barnes (Flaubert's Parrot) has been The New Yorker's London correspondent since 1989, and ...Letters From LondonEssays, NonfictionJulian Barnes One of England's premier novelists, Julian Barnes (Flaubert's Parrot) has been The New Yorker's London correspondent since 1989, and ...1995-08-18Vintage
Genre: Essays, Nonfiction; Author: Julian Barnes; Publisher: Vintage
Posted August 18 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- First look at the new 'Ghostbusters' uniforms
- Big Sean's 'Play No Games' video is a spot-on parody of 'Martin'
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- Marvel’s 'Ant-Man' L.A. premiere livestream: Watch the red carpet arrivals here at 9 ET/6 PT
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!