One of England’s premier novelists, Julian Barnes (Flaubert’s Parrot) has been The New Yorker’s London correspondent since 1989, and Letters From London, the first collection of his missives, is a clear example of why he was an excellent choice. Barnes covers his territory with a dry wit and irreverence that remains distinctly English. Part investigative journalism, part extended essay, part opinionated posturing, the 15 pieces in this collection reveal as much of Barnes’ humor and canniness as they do the inner machinations of a country that once ruled the waves. He comes off best when he takes a satiric stance, as in ”Traffic Jam at Buckingham Palace,” his biting, tongue-firmly-in-cheek look at the royal family (”Queen Mother. Top Royal. The nation’s favorite granny. Gracious, smiling, professional, still carries off pastel colors even at an advanced age”). Not to be missed. A
Letters From London One of England's premier novelists, Julian Barnes (Flaubert's Parrot) has been The New Yorker's London correspondent since 1989, and ...Letters From LondonEssays, NonfictionJulian Barnes One of England's premier novelists, Julian Barnes (Flaubert's Parrot) has been The New Yorker's London correspondent since 1989, and ...1995-08-18Vintage
Genre: Essays, Nonfiction; Author: Julian Barnes; Publisher: Vintage
Posted August 18 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ed Sheeran sang 'Rainbow Connection' with Kermit the Frog and had the time of his life
- Watch Coldplay's hilarious 'Game of Thrones' musical
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!