Even though theater audiences barely nibbled at The Quick and the Dead, director Sam Raimi’s tasty homage to spaghetti-Western maestro Sergio Leone — spiced with Raimi’s offbeat humor — goes down pretty easily. Trading glamour for grit, Sharon Stone plays a six-shooter gladiator competing with the West’s deadliest guns in a contest sponsored by the ruthless Gene Hackman, her father’s murderer. The story line is thin, the characters are one-dimensional, and everybody involved has done better work elsewhere, but Raimi’s stylistic flourishes and talented supporting players carry this slickly made send-up over the rough spots with relative ease. B-
Genre: Western; Starring: Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Lance Henriksen, Gary Sinise, Woody Strode; Director: Sam Raimi; Author: Simon Moore; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted August 18 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- J.K. Rowling cheers Ireland's gay wed vote
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!