Even though theater audiences barely nibbled at The Quick and the Dead, director Sam Raimi’s tasty homage to spaghetti-Western maestro Sergio Leone — spiced with Raimi’s offbeat humor — goes down pretty easily. Trading glamour for grit, Sharon Stone plays a six-shooter gladiator competing with the West’s deadliest guns in a contest sponsored by the ruthless Gene Hackman, her father’s murderer. The story line is thin, the characters are one-dimensional, and everybody involved has done better work elsewhere, but Raimi’s stylistic flourishes and talented supporting players carry this slickly made send-up over the rough spots with relative ease. B-
Genre: Western; Starring: Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Lance Henriksen, Gary Sinise, Woody Strode; Director: Sam Raimi; Author: Simon Moore; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted August 18 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!