In the smarmy note that prefaces this tawdry piece of opportunism, the editor crows that, although The Housekeeper’s Diary: Charles and Diana Before the Breakup is banned in Britain (because anyone employed by the royal family is prohibited by British law from writing about the experience), ”we are blessed with our First Amendment…which guarantees freedom of speech and of the press.” Surely the chance to make a quick buck by blabbing about the people whose bedrooms Wendy Berry used to enter is not what Thomas Jefferson had in mind. Anyhow, what really twists my knickers is that Berry — referred to in British tabloids as a ”63-year-old granny” — knows nothing particular of interest to anyone who knows anything at all about the unhappy marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Judging from her blinkered, unilluminating reportage, Berry is a gossipy, vindictive, self-absorbed employee who worked as the housekeeper of the couple’s Highgrove country estate from 1985 to 1992 and whose big beef, so far as I can tell, is that the two split up, doing her out of a cushy job. And, specifically, at the last Christmas staff party, when she already knew she was going to be let go, Berry was seated away from the main room, where she could ”neither see anyone nor hear the speeches”! One can only shudder at how dangerous a literary threat the housekeeper would have been had Diana not given her a farewell lunch. D-
The Housekeeper's Diary: Charles and Diana Before the Breakup In the smarmy note that prefaces this tawdry piece of opportunism, the editor crows that, although The Housekeeper's Diary: Charles and Diana...The Housekeeper's Diary: Charles and Diana Before the BreakupNonfiction, MemoirWendy Berry In the smarmy note that prefaces this tawdry piece of opportunism, the editor crows that, although The Housekeeper's Diary: Charles and Diana...1995-08-25
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Wendy Berry
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!