When Marco Polo went to China 700 years ago, he discovered locals eating pasta. Maya Li, the young Chinese-American woman who narrates Andrea Louie’s Moon Cakes, isn’t quite so lucky when she visits her ancestral homeland; she discovers only her undigested past. The painful emotional revelations that come to Maya amid the crowds, temples, and her comical fellow tourists don’t give much dramatic resolution to this resolutely undramatic story. But that’s okay. What works best here is precisely the unassuming ordinariness of Maya and her gentle anecdotal narrative, meandering through a happy Ohio childhood interrupted by the sudden death of her companionable father, the increasing remoteness of her beautiful mother, the slow yuppification of her adored older sister, her passive relationships with a couple of college boyfriends, and some postgraduate aimlessness in New York City. Maya’s naive self-absorption sometimes leaves her up to her ears in ”Dear Diary” material, but it’s the book’s modest charm and honesty that stay with you. B
Moon Cakes When Marco Polo went to China 700 years ago, he discovered locals eating pasta. Maya Li, the young Chinese-American woman who narrates Andrea Louie's ...Moon CakesFictionAndrea Louie When Marco Polo went to China 700 years ago, he discovered locals eating pasta. Maya Li, the young Chinese-American woman who narrates Andrea Louie's ...1995-08-25One World
Genre: Fiction; Author: Andrea Louie; Publisher: One World
Posted August 25 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with new single 'Trust You,' shares details of new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!