When Marco Polo went to China 700 years ago, he discovered locals eating pasta. Maya Li, the young Chinese-American woman who narrates Andrea Louie’s Moon Cakes, isn’t quite so lucky when she visits her ancestral homeland; she discovers only her undigested past. The painful emotional revelations that come to Maya amid the crowds, temples, and her comical fellow tourists don’t give much dramatic resolution to this resolutely undramatic story. But that’s okay. What works best here is precisely the unassuming ordinariness of Maya and her gentle anecdotal narrative, meandering through a happy Ohio childhood interrupted by the sudden death of her companionable father, the increasing remoteness of her beautiful mother, the slow yuppification of her adored older sister, her passive relationships with a couple of college boyfriends, and some postgraduate aimlessness in New York City. Maya’s naive self-absorption sometimes leaves her up to her ears in ”Dear Diary” material, but it’s the book’s modest charm and honesty that stay with you. B
Moon Cakes When Marco Polo went to China 700 years ago, he discovered locals eating pasta. Maya Li, the young Chinese-American woman who narrates Andrea Louie's ...Moon CakesFictionAndrea Louie When Marco Polo went to China 700 years ago, he discovered locals eating pasta. Maya Li, the young Chinese-American woman who narrates Andrea Louie's ...1995-08-25One World
Genre: Fiction; Author: Andrea Louie; Publisher: One World
Posted August 25 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- Julian Seinfeld's lemonade stand shut down by the police
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!