A bad hair day almost cost Clueless hunk Paul Rudd his role as stepbrother Josh opposite Alicia Silverstone. After auditioning for director Amy Heckerling, Rudd — convinced he’d blown his chance — shaved his head. Then he got the news. ”I was in a restaurant and Amy happened to be there,” Rudd recalls, ”and she said, ‘Oh, no! Did you realize if you didn’t cut your hair you would have had the part?”’ Heckerling overlooked the lack of locks and cast Rudd anyway, but his short stuff posed a challenge. ”They kept putting on all these wigs because they thought Josh should have long hair,” says Rudd, who ultimately was permitted to appear au naturel. ”My hair ended up being the most totally nondescript, nonstyled, non-threatening cut,” he says. ”I call it my Steve Guttenberg look.”
Posted August 25 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Lady Gaga ride with Mario Andretti at the Indianapolis 500
- 'UnREAL' vs 'Everlasting': New cast members recall their own confusion
- Box office report: 'X-Men: Apocalypse' snuffs 'Alice In Wonderland 2'
- Duncan Jones remembers showing dad David Bowie 'Warcraft'
- Dancing stormtroopers do 'Dirty Dancing' on 'Britain’s Got Talent'
- Jeremy Irons says 'Batman v Superman' was 'overstuffed'
- 'Jessica Jones' star David Tennant ponders superhero bathroom breaks
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers