A bad hair day almost cost Clueless hunk Paul Rudd his role as stepbrother Josh opposite Alicia Silverstone. After auditioning for director Amy Heckerling, Rudd — convinced he’d blown his chance — shaved his head. Then he got the news. ”I was in a restaurant and Amy happened to be there,” Rudd recalls, ”and she said, ‘Oh, no! Did you realize if you didn’t cut your hair you would have had the part?”’ Heckerling overlooked the lack of locks and cast Rudd anyway, but his short stuff posed a challenge. ”They kept putting on all these wigs because they thought Josh should have long hair,” says Rudd, who ultimately was permitted to appear au naturel. ”My hair ended up being the most totally nondescript, nonstyled, non-threatening cut,” he says. ”I call it my Steve Guttenberg look.”
Posted August 25 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet
- 'The Lego Movie' directors will pilot a Han Solo stand-alone movie
- Amy Schumer, Aziz Ansari to headline Oddball Comedy Fest
- Sonia Manzano remembers 44 years as Maria on Sesame Street
- Albert Hammond, Jr. says the Strokes don't have new music in the works
- Kaitlyn's Bachelorette blog: Ben would be a 'great husband'
- What's up next for OITNB's Ruby Rose?
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!