A bad hair day almost cost Clueless hunk Paul Rudd his role as stepbrother Josh opposite Alicia Silverstone. After auditioning for director Amy Heckerling, Rudd — convinced he’d blown his chance — shaved his head. Then he got the news. ”I was in a restaurant and Amy happened to be there,” Rudd recalls, ”and she said, ‘Oh, no! Did you realize if you didn’t cut your hair you would have had the part?”’ Heckerling overlooked the lack of locks and cast Rudd anyway, but his short stuff posed a challenge. ”They kept putting on all these wigs because they thought Josh should have long hair,” says Rudd, who ultimately was permitted to appear au naturel. ”My hair ended up being the most totally nondescript, nonstyled, non-threatening cut,” he says. ”I call it my Steve Guttenberg look.”
Posted August 25 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters