The Hungarian countess Elizabeth Bathory (1560-1613) was powerful, beautiful, intelligent, and possibly the most sadistic murderess in all of history. Her stomach-churning debaucheries included bathing in a shower of blood below a cylindrical cage lined with iron spikes, in which her victims were rotated. Codrescu, a poet and Romanian-born NPR commentator, has spun a Draculaesque novel out of Bathory’s tale, at once dramatizing her life and bringing her back to haunt her fictional descendant, a New York journalist. Although the contemporary segment of Codrescu’s story is ultimately unconvincing, Blood Countess is beautifully written and meticulously researched; Codrescu has woven together Hungarian history, politics, psychology, and religion (with witty asides on the vampirism of Christianity) in a book of high gothic drama. A-
The Blood Countess The Hungarian countess Elizabeth Bathory (1560-1613) was powerful, beautiful, intelligent, and possibly the most sadistic murderess in all of history....The Blood CountessHistorical Fiction, Horror, FictionAndrei Codrescu The Hungarian countess Elizabeth Bathory (1560-1613) was powerful, beautiful, intelligent, and possibly the most sadistic murderess in all of history....1995-09-08
Genre: Historical Fiction, Horror, Fiction; Author: Andrei Codrescu
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!