Sharon Stone in chaps — it’s enough to make any studio head think box office bonanza. Unfortunately, The Quick and the Dead lived up to both parts of its title last February when it lassoed a mere $18.5 million in theaters. But in its second week on video, the Western blasted from No. 8 to No. 3 on the rentals chart. Also making a hefty comeback was Disney’s Heavyweights. After floundering in theaters ($17.7 million), the comedy appears to be in better shape on video, squeezing into No. 9 in its second week. On the sales front, two classics, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Caddyshack, rose from the dead thanks to recent promotional pushes. Now, if only Caddyshack’s theme crooner, Kenny Loggins, could work the same magic.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on how to make the perfect finale (when Nina Dobrev is leaving)
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!