Sharon Stone in chaps — it’s enough to make any studio head think box office bonanza. Unfortunately, The Quick and the Dead lived up to both parts of its title last February when it lassoed a mere $18.5 million in theaters. But in its second week on video, the Western blasted from No. 8 to No. 3 on the rentals chart. Also making a hefty comeback was Disney’s Heavyweights. After floundering in theaters ($17.7 million), the comedy appears to be in better shape on video, squeezing into No. 9 in its second week. On the sales front, two classics, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Caddyshack, rose from the dead thanks to recent promotional pushes. Now, if only Caddyshack’s theme crooner, Kenny Loggins, could work the same magic.
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo
- Police looking at possible drug OD in Prince's death, report says
- Penelope Cruz to star in reinvention drama 'Layover'
- 'The Catch' lands 'Happy Endings,' 'Army Wives' stars
- What to Watch Thursday: 'Lip Sync Battle' stages a 'Community' reunion
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Voice'