Sharon Stone in chaps — it’s enough to make any studio head think box office bonanza. Unfortunately, The Quick and the Dead lived up to both parts of its title last February when it lassoed a mere $18.5 million in theaters. But in its second week on video, the Western blasted from No. 8 to No. 3 on the rentals chart. Also making a hefty comeback was Disney’s Heavyweights. After floundering in theaters ($17.7 million), the comedy appears to be in better shape on video, squeezing into No. 9 in its second week. On the sales front, two classics, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Caddyshack, rose from the dead thanks to recent promotional pushes. Now, if only Caddyshack’s theme crooner, Kenny Loggins, could work the same magic.
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles