Sharon Stone in chaps — it’s enough to make any studio head think box office bonanza. Unfortunately, The Quick and the Dead lived up to both parts of its title last February when it lassoed a mere $18.5 million in theaters. But in its second week on video, the Western blasted from No. 8 to No. 3 on the rentals chart. Also making a hefty comeback was Disney’s Heavyweights. After floundering in theaters ($17.7 million), the comedy appears to be in better shape on video, squeezing into No. 9 in its second week. On the sales front, two classics, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Caddyshack, rose from the dead thanks to recent promotional pushes. Now, if only Caddyshack’s theme crooner, Kenny Loggins, could work the same magic.
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Larry David promises disappointment in his 'SNL' monologue
- 'SNL' puts an 'X-Files' spin on those Super Bowl snack commercials
- Whitney Houston's brother remembers her iconic Super Bowl performance
- Zoolander and Hansel critique presidential candidate fashion on 'SNL'
- Bernie Sanders appears with Larry David on 'SNL'
- Danai Gurira on the big 'moment of truth' coming up on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Bern Your Enthusiasm': Larry David stars as Bernie Sanders in 'SNL' spoof