It’s being marketed as a rap performance film, but THE SHOW (Savoy, R) is least arresting during its perfunctory, MTV-ready concert sequences. More pungent are its on-the-fly interviews with the stars and young moguls of hip-hop (Dr. Dre, War ren G, Naugh ty by Na ture), who give you the sense that they’ve plugged into a groove far mightier than they are. (That rap’s apocalyptic vibe now fuels an expanding business empire only adds to its populist fury.) The notable exception is Russell Simmons, the sly-eyed impresario of Rush Communications, who brags about his corporate perks with the nonchalance of a surly pasha. Yet if Simmons’ fashion-world imperiousness is part of rap’s story, so are the expanding range and influence of the music itself. The Show evokes that range in scenes as disparate as a tour snippet from Japan in which we meet Asian rap fans as rabid as any suburban American beastie boy; an interview with Snoop Doggy Dogg, whose gift for lyrical, rolling wordplay is evident in even his most casual conversation; and a round-table session with the elder statesmen of hip-hop, at which former Grandmaster Flash front man Melle Mel ridicules the postures of gangsta rappers as though he were Frank Sinatra dismissing grunge. B-
The Show It's being marketed as a rap performance film, but THE SHOW (Savoy, R) is least arresting during its perfunctory, MTV-ready ...The ShowMusical, DocumentaryR It's being marketed as a rap performance film, but THE SHOW (Savoy, R) is least arresting during its perfunctory, MTV-ready ...1995-09-08
Genre: Musical, Documentary; Guest Performer: Sean P. Diddy Combs; MPAA Rating: R
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!