It’s being marketed as a rap performance film, but THE SHOW (Savoy, R) is least arresting during its perfunctory, MTV-ready concert sequences. More pungent are its on-the-fly interviews with the stars and young moguls of hip-hop (Dr. Dre, War ren G, Naugh ty by Na ture), who give you the sense that they’ve plugged into a groove far mightier than they are. (That rap’s apocalyptic vibe now fuels an expanding business empire only adds to its populist fury.) The notable exception is Russell Simmons, the sly-eyed impresario of Rush Communications, who brags about his corporate perks with the nonchalance of a surly pasha. Yet if Simmons’ fashion-world imperiousness is part of rap’s story, so are the expanding range and influence of the music itself. The Show evokes that range in scenes as disparate as a tour snippet from Japan in which we meet Asian rap fans as rabid as any suburban American beastie boy; an interview with Snoop Doggy Dogg, whose gift for lyrical, rolling wordplay is evident in even his most casual conversation; and a round-table session with the elder statesmen of hip-hop, at which former Grandmaster Flash front man Melle Mel ridicules the postures of gangsta rappers as though he were Frank Sinatra dismissing grunge. B-
The Show It's being marketed as a rap performance film, but THE SHOW (Savoy, R) is least arresting during its perfunctory, MTV-ready ...The ShowMusical, DocumentaryR It's being marketed as a rap performance film, but THE SHOW (Savoy, R) is least arresting during its perfunctory, MTV-ready ...1995-09-08
Genre: Musical, Documentary; Guest Performer: Sean P. Diddy Combs; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquaio fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!