AGE: 21. OCCUPATION: Actor best known as Rickie Vasquez, the gay high school student on My So-Called Life. One episode re-created Cruz’s own experience of being thrown out of his house on Christmas Eve after revealing his sexual orientation to his father (they’ve reconciled). WHAT’S NEXT: Will appear in Oliver Stone’s Nixon as a J. Edgar Hoover party guest, and as a gay fashion student in On Seventh Avenue, an NBC movie. PROSPECTS: ”If I were a closeted actor coming off a successful series, I know I’d [easily get] work. But as an openly gay actor, I’m really at the mercy of the industry. People say I’m a test case. But if more of us come out, it’ll be a nonissue.”
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Luke's absence teased in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' charity video
- 'Doctor Who': Steven Moffat says 'Heaven Sent' is 'creepiest' episode yet
- Re-live brilliant Bonnaroo moments from Mumford & Sons, D'Angelo, and more in Thanksgiving video
- Which Frankenstein would you date?
- Laurie Metcalf talks Misery villain: 'I'm golden to go as violent as I want'
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 5, 'The New Normal'
- Erykah Badu announces release date for new phone-themed mixtape
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year