AGE: 21. OCCUPATION: Actor best known as Rickie Vasquez, the gay high school student on My So-Called Life. One episode re-created Cruz’s own experience of being thrown out of his house on Christmas Eve after revealing his sexual orientation to his father (they’ve reconciled). WHAT’S NEXT: Will appear in Oliver Stone’s Nixon as a J. Edgar Hoover party guest, and as a gay fashion student in On Seventh Avenue, an NBC movie. PROSPECTS: ”If I were a closeted actor coming off a successful series, I know I’d [easily get] work. But as an openly gay actor, I’m really at the mercy of the industry. People say I’m a test case. But if more of us come out, it’ll be a nonissue.”
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!