AGE: 21. OCCUPATION: Actor best known as Rickie Vasquez, the gay high school student on My So-Called Life. One episode re-created Cruz’s own experience of being thrown out of his house on Christmas Eve after revealing his sexual orientation to his father (they’ve reconciled). WHAT’S NEXT: Will appear in Oliver Stone’s Nixon as a J. Edgar Hoover party guest, and as a gay fashion student in On Seventh Avenue, an NBC movie. PROSPECTS: ”If I were a closeted actor coming off a successful series, I know I’d [easily get] work. But as an openly gay actor, I’m really at the mercy of the industry. People say I’m a test case. But if more of us come out, it’ll be a nonissue.”
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?