Call it a come-on attraction: Last month’s teaser for MGM’s Showgirls (due Sept. 22) promised ”a movie event so erotic … so dangerous … so controversial … that we can’t show you a thing.” Then it went ahead and showed us a barely clad dancer (Elizabeth Berkley) slowly rising out of a crouch while running her tongue along a shiny metal pole. If you thought that was spicy, check out the follow-up trailer in theaters now, which is chockful of bare-breasted Vegas beauties who dance on stage, fight backstage, and get very friendly in between. The new version is being shown only with R-rated movies, but since the Joe Esz terhas-scripted, Paul Verhoeven-directed film is a well-publicized NC-17, there’s obviously even more hot stuff the studio can’t show us. Not that it would even if it could. After all, leaving something to our imagination is one of the oldest principles of coming-attractions showmanship.
Showgirls Call it a come-on attraction: Last month's teaser for MGM's Showgirls (due Sept. 22) promised ''a movie event so erotic ... so dangerous ......ShowgirlsDrama, Erotic Call it a come-on attraction: Last month's teaser for MGM's Showgirls (due Sept. 22) promised ''a movie event so erotic ... so dangerous ......1995-09-08Gina GershonKyle MacLachlanGina Gershon, Kyle MacLachlan
Genre: Drama, Erotic; Starring: Elizabeth Berkley, Gina Gershon, Joe Eszterhaus, Paul Verhoeven, Gina Gershon, Kyle MacLachlan; Director: Paul Verhoeven
Posted September 8 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Carpool Karaoke: Elton John & James Corden sing 'Lion King' theme & more
- Barack Obama crashes Stephen Colbert's post-Super Bowl 'Late Show'
- Twitter finds unofficial Super Bowl mascot in diarrhea medication ad
- Schick channels 'Transformers' for Super Bowl 50 ad
- Taraji P. Henson confuses Coldplay with Maroon 5: 'Oooooooopppps. Lmao!'
- These are the best Super Bowl 50 halftime show GIFs
- Psylocke swoops in during 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Super Bowl teaser