Blue In The Face (R) The second collaboration between director Wayne Wang and novelist-screenwriter Paul Auster is set in the same cozy-seedy Brooklyn cigar store that served as the hub for their art-house hit, Smoke. This time, no one’s minding the store. Shot in less than seven days, Blue in the Face is a semi-improvisatory funk vaudeville — a rambling series of actors’ riffs on the Brooklyn state of mind. Wang and Auster throw fragmentary comic bits in the air like so much confetti, hoping that the result coheres into a rowdy cinematic block party. It doesn’t, but there are some highlights. Lou Reed proves a zestfully dry raconteur, and director Jim Jarmusch disarms the film’s contortions with his relaxed wit. But most of the actors seem stranded in a sitcom without a situation. C
Blue in the Face Blue In The Face (R) The second collaboration between director Wayne Wang and novelist-screenwriter Paul Auster is set in the same cozy-seedy...Blue in the FaceComedyR Blue In The Face (R) The second collaboration between director Wayne Wang and novelist-screenwriter Paul Auster is set in the same cozy-seedy...1995-10-27Jim Jarmusch
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Paul Auster, Roseanne Barr, Michael J. Fox, Harvey Keitel, Madonna, Lou Reed, Jim Jarmusch; Director: Paul Auster, Wayne Wang; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!