Get shorty (R) A cracklingly energized adaptation of Elmore Leonard’s 1990 crime-caper novel. Director Barry Sonnenfeld finds a broad equivalent to Leonard’s propulsive-trash style, and the movie has a wonderfully sleek hero in John Travolta, who plays Chili Palmer, the Miami loan shark-turned-would-be movie investor, with the same impervious brashness that made him such a charmer in Pulp Fiction. Chili, in his cool black duds, is as much a put-on artist as anyone he meets in Los Angeles; Travolta lets us feel the joy of an actor playing an actor. The other characters are so thin, though, that their encounters begin to seem weightless. Gene Hackman plays grade-Z movie producer Harry Zimm as a cartoon huckster without really bringing out his undercurrent of desperation. And why cast Danny DeVito as a satire of a capricious Hollywood leading man? The pleasures of Get Shorty are genuine, but they remain stubbornly on the surface. B
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Comedy; Starring: Danny DeVito, Gene Hackman, Elmore Leonard, Delroy Lindo, Rene Russo, John Travolta, Danny DeVito, Dennis Farina, James Gandolfini, Rene Russo; Director: Barry Sonnenfeld; Author: Elmore Leonard; Producer (person): Danny DeVito; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!