I, Fellini: Charlotte Chandler (Random House, $26.50) Federico Fellini makes a confession in this book: He’s a wee bit prone to embroidering the truth. Not exactly a shocker. After all, this is the man who abandoned Italy’s neorealism for dream sequences, fantasy, and circus dwarves. But Fellini’s confession serves as a handy warning to keep a shaker of salt nearby when reading this book, a hefty biography drawn from 14 years of interviews with the late director. Yet in the end, you won’t really care if Fellini’s wry, meandering, self-deprecating tales are totally true. They’re delightful nonetheless. You’ll learn how he used a dirty cartoon to get Marcello Mastroianni to star in La Dolce Vita, how he dreamed of filming a twisted version of the Robinson Crusoe story, and how he started the rumor that 81U2 was named for the age when he first had sex. As Fellini bubbles about the work of Mae West and Laurel and Hardy, along with his own films, one thing is proved beyond a doubt: This man loved the movies. A-
I, Fellini I, Fellini: Charlotte Chandler (Random House, $26.50) Federico Fellini makes a confession in this book: He's a wee bit prone to ...I, FelliniBiography, MoviesCharlotte Chandler I, Fellini: Charlotte Chandler (Random House, $26.50) Federico Fellini makes a confession in this book: He's a wee bit prone to ...1995-11-03
Genre: Biography, Movies; Author: Charlotte Chandler
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!