The Underneath Peter Gallagher, Elisabeth Shue (1995, MCA/Universal, R, priced for rental) A cool-blue revamp of the Burt Lancaster classic Criss Cross, this thriller tells of a handsome loser (Gallagher) who returns home to find his ex-flame (Alison Elliott) engaged to the local kingpin (William Fichtner), while his job as an armored-car guard offers easy temptation. Ex-prodigy director Steven Soderbergh (sex, lies, and videotape) is clearly going the Blood Simple route here, but he lacks both the wit and the nose for sleaze of the Coen brothers. The result is that snooze-inducing rarity, a tasteful film noir. On video, at least, you can use the rewind button to untangle the endless flashbacks. C
Posted November 3 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West reveals final track list for album now named 'The Life of Pablo'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Deadpool' star Ryan Reynolds reveals when he feels his sexiest
- Brenda Strong compares her 'Desperate Housewives' and 'The 100' characters
- See Arcade Fire's David Bowie tribute parade
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds’ daughter had cutest reaction to Super Bowl ad
- Get your first look at 'The Flash'-'Supergirl’ crossover
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds wants 9 daughters
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday