Just as the defeat of Nazi Germany failed to put an end to apocalyptic thrillers about Hitler, so the collapse of the Soviet Union appears unlikely to finish off the Cold War spy novel Sleeper Spy, by William Safire. And why should it? Russia’s still there, after all, seething with ancient grudges, nationalistic fervor, and Dostoyevskian passions. So why shouldn’t a veteran cold warrior like New York Times columnist and former Nixon speechwriter William Safire resurrect the dread specter of Stalinism yet again? Back in the bad old days before communism fell apart, see, the wicked geniuses in the KGB planted a ”sleeper agent” in the U.S. They trained him to be an investment banker, furnished him with a $3 billion Swiss bank account, and fed him enough stolen economic data to parlay it into a huge fortune. (Safire acknowledges the similarity of this plot device to Frederick Forsyth’s The Odessa File.) Anyway, should the cash fall into the hands of unrepentant Stalinist plotters, you can just imagine the consequences. And who stands between the villains and their evil coup? Only the intrepid Irving Fein — the ”greatest reporter in the world” — and his spunky sidekick, network newsbabe Viveca Farr. The result is a hyper-complicated, never credible tale filled with tendentious rhetoric and occasional shrewd insights into the New York media scene. As a novelist, Safire combines a Norman Mailer-like egotism with Robert Ludlum’s tin ear. Even so, his sheer vigor can be oddly charming. B
Sleeper Spy Just as the defeat of Nazi Germany failed to put an end to apocalyptic thrillers about Hitler, so the collapse of the Soviet Union appears unlikely...Sleeper SpyFiction, Mystery and ThrillerWilliam Safire Just as the defeat of Nazi Germany failed to put an end to apocalyptic thrillers about Hitler, so the collapse of the Soviet Union appears unlikely...1995-11-10
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: William Safire
Posted November 10 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Breaking Bad' actor RJ Mitte champions disabled people in pop culture
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from 'Light Between Oceans'
- Stars put Jimmy Fallon to shame in dramatic game of Musical Beers
- The Must List: Sunday's VMAs, new Frank Ocean, and more
- Dave Grohl and Prophets of Rage cover the MC5's 'Kick Out the Jams'
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, 'Seinfeld' cast 'bonked' by Jimmy Fallon
- Seth Meyers revises offer for Donald Trump show 'Chicago President'
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...