Sure, toys will be toys, but not all of them are created equal. In the upcoming Disney computer-animated feature Toy Story, Tom Hanks provides the voice of Woody, the cowboy doll who loses his playroom status as favorite toy to astronaut action figure Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen. Which got us wondering if Hanks had a childhood inspiration for the role. Of course, he says. ”It was an astronaut called Major Matt Nathan,” says Hanks. ”He was made out of rubber and he had a wire inside and you could bend him and lean him any way you wanted. Until the wire busted. Then his arm kind of dangled.” Perhaps the Apollo 13 star’s taste in toys was an early sign of bigger things to come? ”I just loved it because he had a very lifelike helmet and space equipment and this little tractor he drove around on the moon. Very cool stuff.” Wonder if Ron Howard knew this.
Posted November 10 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt