Sure, toys will be toys, but not all of them are created equal. In the upcoming Disney computer-animated feature Toy Story, Tom Hanks provides the voice of Woody, the cowboy doll who loses his playroom status as favorite toy to astronaut action figure Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen. Which got us wondering if Hanks had a childhood inspiration for the role. Of course, he says. ”It was an astronaut called Major Matt Nathan,” says Hanks. ”He was made out of rubber and he had a wire inside and you could bend him and lean him any way you wanted. Until the wire busted. Then his arm kind of dangled.” Perhaps the Apollo 13 star’s taste in toys was an early sign of bigger things to come? ”I just loved it because he had a very lifelike helmet and space equipment and this little tractor he drove around on the moon. Very cool stuff.” Wonder if Ron Howard knew this.
Posted November 10 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!