Sure, toys will be toys, but not all of them are created equal. In the upcoming Disney computer-animated feature Toy Story, Tom Hanks provides the voice of Woody, the cowboy doll who loses his playroom status as favorite toy to astronaut action figure Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen. Which got us wondering if Hanks had a childhood inspiration for the role. Of course, he says. ”It was an astronaut called Major Matt Nathan,” says Hanks. ”He was made out of rubber and he had a wire inside and you could bend him and lean him any way you wanted. Until the wire busted. Then his arm kind of dangled.” Perhaps the Apollo 13 star’s taste in toys was an early sign of bigger things to come? ”I just loved it because he had a very lifelike helmet and space equipment and this little tractor he drove around on the moon. Very cool stuff.” Wonder if Ron Howard knew this.
Posted November 10 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing megalomaniac Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized in Las Vegas
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 'iZombie' boss on Major's downward spiral
- 'Manhattan': Ashley Zukerman on the atom bomb drama's explosive Season 2
- There's a Will Ferrell-themed bar in New York
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6