Sure, toys will be toys, but not all of them are created equal. In the upcoming Disney computer-animated feature Toy Story, Tom Hanks provides the voice of Woody, the cowboy doll who loses his playroom status as favorite toy to astronaut action figure Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen. Which got us wondering if Hanks had a childhood inspiration for the role. Of course, he says. ”It was an astronaut called Major Matt Nathan,” says Hanks. ”He was made out of rubber and he had a wire inside and you could bend him and lean him any way you wanted. Until the wire busted. Then his arm kind of dangled.” Perhaps the Apollo 13 star’s taste in toys was an early sign of bigger things to come? ”I just loved it because he had a very lifelike helmet and space equipment and this little tractor he drove around on the moon. Very cool stuff.” Wonder if Ron Howard knew this.
Posted November 10 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cara Delevingne addresses awkward interview
- 'Gritty' take on Little Women in development at CW
- Mia Farrow criticized for tweeting business address of Cecil the lion's killer
- Diva Layla El retires from WWE
- Woody Allen says private life doesn't resonate in his films
- 'Law & Order' director arrested on child pornography charges
- 'Secret in Their Eyes' gets new release date
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!