Walking on Air, a rather oxymoronic title chosen by author R.S. Jones, is a relentlessly grim tale of a man being ravaged by AIDS. In a very effective opening, William, a dying man, remembers his childhood on a Western farm and how his father would mark a pig for slaughter by painting its snout with a fluorescent green triangle. The green mark is a metaphorical link to the pink triangle that will come to symbolize the ”Silence equals death” devastation of the AIDS epidemic. William breaks with his family, goes to New York, and makes it as an investor, only to fall ill. Jones carefully examines all the psychological nuances of the dying and their caretakers: the isolation, the loneliness, the feeling of being treated like a leper. One reads Walking on Air compulsively, hoping for comic relief, but Jones has no intention of letting us up even for a single breath. B+
Walking On Air Walking on Air, a rather oxymoronic title chosen by author R.S. Jones, is a relentlessly grim tale of a man being ravaged by AIDS. In...Walking On AirFictionR.S. Jones Walking on Air, a rather oxymoronic title chosen by author R.S. Jones, is a relentlessly grim tale of a man being ravaged by AIDS. In...1995-11-10
Genre: Fiction; Author: R.S. Jones
Posted November 10 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!