Literary necrophilia — in the form of sequels to Gone With the Wind and other classics — has become far too common. At least this is a new twist: Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human is a sequel to the seminal film and the Philip K. Dick novel it was based on. Though the two works differed significantly, K.W. Jeter treats them as equally valid, concocting an elaborate conspiracy theory to explain their contradictions. Only hardcore fans will be satisfied by this tale of Deckard, the cynical ex-LAPD blade runner, here forced to hunt down yet another runaway replicant. Jeter clearly favors the movie as inspiration, eschewing the jagged weirdness that animated Dick’s book. That’s fine; frankly, the movie was better. But his habit of echoing dialogue and scenes from the film is annoying and begs comparisons he would do well to avoid. C-
Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human Literary necrophilia — in the form of sequels to Gone With the Wind and other classics — has become far too common. At least this...Blade Runner 2: The Edge of HumanSci-fi and Fantasy, FictionK.W. Jeter Literary necrophilia — in the form of sequels to Gone With the Wind and other classics — has become far too common. At least this...1995-11-17
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Fiction; Author: K.W. Jeter
Posted November 17 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to Carmelo Anthony and Jesse Eisenberg read from 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- Nina Dobrev, Matt McGorry, and more advocate for sexual consent in 'It's On Us' campaign
- 'Survivor' players reveal whom they want out of the game first
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!