This week, a year before the end of his One Life to Live contract, the Emmy-winning Roger Howarth departs Llanview, but not for the usual reason — more money. Howarth, who’s played Todd Manning since 1993, says it’s ”really gross” that his character, once an unrepentant rapist, is being redeemed as a newspaper publisher and heir. ”I just can’t do those kinds of fairy tales anymore,” says Howarth, twentysomething, who’s moving from New York to L.A., where he’ll try to break into movies. ”I’d rather be broke doing something I’m proud of.” The actor gave notice last year, but only a few months ago did OLTL agree to let him go (on condition he doesn’t do another soap for 12 months). ”I had a great time here — for half the time,” he says. ”But now it’s in the best interests of the show to find a Todd who won’t object to the material.”
Posted November 17 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jill Scott says she no longer supports Bill Cosby
- 'Project Runway': Meet the season 14 contestants
- Amanda Peterson, 'Can't Buy Me Love' costar, dies at 43
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!