The subject of Sister My Sister is the final final taboo: not just incest, but lesbian incest that leads to murder. If that sounds as if it could be good for some prurient kicks, think again. There is not a titillating moment in this British import that doesn’t yield to something far more disturbing. Julie Walters is frighteningly perfect as a soulless widow who lives with her equally nasty daughter (Sophie Thursfield) in an insular world of mutual dislike. Their perverse closeness mirrors that of two sisters (intensely played by Joely Richardson and Jodhi May) who fulfill their grotesque whims; the cruelty these two servants experience is enough to spark a firestorm of violence. Based on a true story, this is a bleak, sinister portrait of two sick relationships, only one of which was condemned by the world. B+
Sister My Sister The subject of Sister My Sister is the final final taboo: not just incest, but lesbian incest that leads to murder. If that...Sister My SisterMystery and ThrillerWendy KesselmanR The subject of Sister My Sister is the final final taboo: not just incest, but lesbian incest that leads to murder. If that...1995-11-17Jodhi MaySophie ThursfieldJodhi May, Sophie Thursfield
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Joely Richardson, Julie Walters, Jodhi May, Sophie Thursfield; Director: Nancy Meckler; Author: Wendy Kesselman; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 17 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!