Ace of Base provides the musical equivalent of a Mentos commercial: They’re so deeply dorky, you have to love ‘em. On their second album, The Bridge, these Swedes again chirp each note with the blank cheer of possessed elves. And every lyric deserves its exclamation point: ”Life is a paradise!” they squeak in one song; ”It’s a Beautiful Life!” is the title of another. The desire to buy into such bliss accounts for some measure of the success of The Sign, the band’s 8 million-selling debut — that and sheer nostalgia for simpler times. In that regard, the ditsy bleeps of ’80s synth-pop that punctuated Sign live again, even if this time they get a more textured production, edging closer to the sweep of prime Pet Shop Boys. Nothing here approaches the melodic complexities of ABBA, Base’s obvious role model. But for sheer candied pop, this is one pleasurable way to rot your teeth.
The Bridge Ace of Base provides the musical equivalent of a Mentos commercial: They're so deeply dorky, you have to love 'em. On their second album, The...The BridgePop Ace of Base provides the musical equivalent of a Mentos commercial: They're so deeply dorky, you have to love 'em. On their second album, The...1995-11-24
Posted November 24 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- I found out 'Silk Stalkings' was on Hulu and now I can't stop watching
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- Alicia Keys returns with '28 Thousand Days'
- Jon Stewart reveals his final three 'Daily Show' guests
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!