The second film written and directed by Sean Penn is, like his first, The Indian Runner (1991), a self-conscious anthem to macho despair — it’s yet another tale of two men torn (and bound together) by violence. Jack Nicholson gives a powerful performance as Freddy Gale, a Los Angeles jewelry-store owner who has been living in hell ever since his 7-year-old daughter was killed by a drunken driver. To lance the boil of his rage, he becomes obsessed with murdering the man responsible, a young blue-collar hulk (David Morse) who has served six years for manslaughter and emerges from prison so racked with guilt that he actually wants Freddy to kill him. Penn orchestrates a mood of brooding naturalistic languor that owes much to the psychodramatic cinema of the early ’70s, and he shows a rare gift for working with actors. He coaxes a soul-torn grief out of Nicholson that’s shocking to behold, and Morse, who suggests a burlier version of Jon Voight, has a gentle-giant melancholy that borders on grace. The Crossing Guard is a work of talent and, on occasion, raw passion, but it’s also a willed exercise in purgative alienation (imagine Death Wish remade by Michelangelo Antonioni). What’s more, so many of the film’s details — late-night whiskey binges, fistfights, scenes set at a grimy strip club — echo Penn’s own infamous tabloid antics that, at times, he seems to be flirting with a kind of guttersnipe chic.
The Crossing Guard The second film written and directed by Sean Penn is, like his first, The Indian Runner (1991), a self-conscious anthem to macho despair —...The Crossing GuardDramaDavid Rabe, Sean PennR The second film written and directed by Sean Penn is, like his first, The Indian Runner (1991), a self-conscious anthem to macho despair —...1995-11-24
Genre: Drama; Starring: Anjelica Huston, Jack Nicholson; Director: Sean Penn; Author: David Rabe, Sean Penn; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 24 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Shia LaBeouf battles PTSD in new 'Man Down' trailer
- 'Moana' to be first Disney film translated into Tahitian language
- Fall TV's best and worst ratings performers so far
- Rob Gronkowski goes undercover for Lyft to talk astrophysics, Tom Brady
- 'Good Girls Revolt' looks at sexism in the '60s publishing world
- Justin Timberlake's illegal voting booth selfie is 'under review'
- 'This Is Us' preview: Creator Dan Fogelman on 'The Game Plan'
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop