Surely one of the joys of election-night coverage is the presence of David Brinkley, barking out pointed commentary and offering sometimes relevant but always amusing anecdotes. His rambling, grab-bag reminiscences, peppered with his trademark sardonic wit, offer only a few personal details: His mother was rather cold and reserved; his father was a soft touch. But David Brinkley: A Memoir isn’t so much his story as it is a collection of fine stories about others — including Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Winston Churchill, and Lyndon B. Johnson — that he accumulated during his years in radio, newspapers, network news, and Sunday-morning roundtable shows. Brinkley’s style is idiosyncratic: He spends the second-to-last chapter summing up the accomplishments of his children and then uses the final pages to chart the history and abuses of the income tax. Typical. Over the years, it seems, Brinkley’s job was a lot of fun, and he had fun doing it. Well, it was and he did. C+
David Brinkley: A Memoir Surely one of the joys of election-night coverage is the presence of David Brinkley, barking out pointed commentary and offering sometimes relevant but...David Brinkley: A MemoirMemoirDavid Brinkley Surely one of the joys of election-night coverage is the presence of David Brinkley, barking out pointed commentary and offering sometimes relevant but...1995-11-24
Genre: Memoir; Author: David Brinkley
Posted November 24 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday