Miraculously, ABC has revamped its loathsome Loving into the stylish, amusing The City (i.e., New York). The production budget is obvious: Morgan Fairchild’s character, media mogul Sydney Chase, arrived via helicopter, wearing a $3,000 Versace number. Sydney’s fabulously tough, but hustling a homeless man for $2 in a chess game is a bit much. And enough with the shaky, hand-held camera shots. It’s not NYPD Blue, it’s a soap! How about some sex? Still, the acting and writing have already improved. The City has more energy — and welcome ethnic diversity — than Loving did in its 12 years. Loving refugees Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams (doctor Angie Hubbard and club manager Jacob Foster), who always deserved better, actually look happy to be working. And I’m actually happy to be watching.
Posted November 24 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stephen Colbert meets Mitt Romney in new 'Late Show' promo
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series delves into Star-Lord's origins
- Listen to this gorgeous harp cover of Taylor Swift’s ‘Style’
- See Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara handle awkward 'Fantastic Four' interview
- Lady Gaga gave Tony Bennett an enormous cake for his 89th birthday
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!