Miraculously, ABC has revamped its loathsome Loving into the stylish, amusing The City (i.e., New York). The production budget is obvious: Morgan Fairchild’s character, media mogul Sydney Chase, arrived via helicopter, wearing a $3,000 Versace number. Sydney’s fabulously tough, but hustling a homeless man for $2 in a chess game is a bit much. And enough with the shaky, hand-held camera shots. It’s not NYPD Blue, it’s a soap! How about some sex? Still, the acting and writing have already improved. The City has more energy — and welcome ethnic diversity — than Loving did in its 12 years. Loving refugees Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams (doctor Angie Hubbard and club manager Jacob Foster), who always deserved better, actually look happy to be working. And I’m actually happy to be watching.
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Game of Thrones,' 'SHIELD,' 'Arrow' and more
- Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to collaborate with Steve McQueen on heist thriller
- 'Sherlock' season 4: 'Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval'
- 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone' illustrated edition cover art revealed
- 'Castle' sneak peek: Did Beckett and Castle just dig their own graves?
- Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst reminds everyone he is not Robert Durst
- Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool...on a bearskin rug: 'With great power, comes great irresponsibility'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!