The slow, sensuous grooves that dominate R. Kelly represent a shift in emphasis for singer-songwriter-producer R. Kelly. Where his last collection, the hugely successful 12 Play, was shot through with raunch & roll, Kelly is now infatuated with, as one song title has it, ”Tempo Slow.” The first single, ”You Remind Me of Something,” is a stark, harmonically intricate ballad about lost love that he performs utterly without irony, straight from the heart. Kelly hasn’t by any means abandoned sex talk: There’s a prickly collaboration with The Notorious B.I.G., ”(You To Be) Be Happy,” and something called, ahem, ”Hump Bounce.” But the most canny thing about R. Kelly is that its creator lets us in on his influences, which turn out to be smooth Gamble and Huff-style soul (”Step in My Room,” ”Love Is on the Way”), Stevie Wonder-ful pop (”Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby…” — that’s right, five babys), and the overreaching funk emotionalism of the late Donny Hathaway (nary a cut goes by without a Donny echo). There are times when Kelly confuses sincerity with dolorousness, but for the most part, he’s pulled it off: An album that moves him into a new realm of pop ambitiousness.
R. Kelly The slow, sensuous grooves that dominate R. Kelly represent a shift in emphasis for singer-songwriter-producer R. Kelly. Where his last...R. KellyR&B The slow, sensuous grooves that dominate R. Kelly represent a shift in emphasis for singer-songwriter-producer R. Kelly. Where his last...1995-11-24
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: R. Kelly; Producer (group): Jive Records
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!