The slow, sensuous grooves that dominate R. Kelly represent a shift in emphasis for singer-songwriter-producer R. Kelly. Where his last collection, the hugely successful 12 Play, was shot through with raunch & roll, Kelly is now infatuated with, as one song title has it, ”Tempo Slow.” The first single, ”You Remind Me of Something,” is a stark, harmonically intricate ballad about lost love that he performs utterly without irony, straight from the heart. Kelly hasn’t by any means abandoned sex talk: There’s a prickly collaboration with The Notorious B.I.G., ”(You To Be) Be Happy,” and something called, ahem, ”Hump Bounce.” But the most canny thing about R. Kelly is that its creator lets us in on his influences, which turn out to be smooth Gamble and Huff-style soul (”Step in My Room,” ”Love Is on the Way”), Stevie Wonder-ful pop (”Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby…” — that’s right, five babys), and the overreaching funk emotionalism of the late Donny Hathaway (nary a cut goes by without a Donny echo). There are times when Kelly confuses sincerity with dolorousness, but for the most part, he’s pulled it off: An album that moves him into a new realm of pop ambitiousness.
R. Kelly The slow, sensuous grooves that dominate R. Kelly represent a shift in emphasis for singer-songwriter-producer R. Kelly. Where his last...R. KellyR&B The slow, sensuous grooves that dominate R. Kelly represent a shift in emphasis for singer-songwriter-producer R. Kelly. Where his last...1995-11-24
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: R. Kelly; Producer (group): Jive Records
Posted November 24 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 5 reasons Gal Gadot is a woman who kicks ass
- Justin Bieber wants you to 'look' at his butt
- Taylor Swift's 'Blank Space' breaks another record
- Judd Apatow calls for Cosby supporters to 'stand with the victims'
- Jill Scott says she no longer supports Bill Cosby
- 'Project Runway': Meet the season 14 contestants
- Amanda Peterson, 'Can't Buy Me Love' costar, dies at 43
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!