This debut novel is a dazzling feat of imagination, technique, and wordplay. You begin Red Earth and Pouring Rain by reading an epic tale of Indian history and mythology and soon find yourself engrossed in a serial-killer mystery in Victorian London. Woven between the two is an On the Road-style odyssey of three American college students. The stories do come together, but the mastery lies in how distinct they remain until you least expect it. Structurally, the transitions happen so subtly that it takes time to recognize where you are, but it also makes you constantly aware of the tapestry Vikram Chandra is spinning. Ambitious? Yes. And impressive, too.
Red Earth and Pouring Rain This debut novel is a dazzling feat of imagination, technique, and wordplay. You begin Red Earth and Pouring Rain by reading an epic...Red Earth and Pouring RainFictionVikram Chandra This debut novel is a dazzling feat of imagination, technique, and wordplay. You begin Red Earth and Pouring Rain by reading an epic...1995-11-24
Genre: Fiction; Author: Vikram Chandra
Posted November 24 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!