Think of a certain suave, urbane style that reigned in New York, London, Paris, the theater, and the movies in the ’20s and ’30s. Think of cigarettes, smoking jackets, cocktails, cynical epigrams, and sexy, witty, world-weary songs. Think, in other words, of Cole Porter and Noel Coward, who were friends moving in the same café-society circles, and who virtually invented that style. Now imagine these two incarnations of sophistication being subjected to a strange mad-scientist experiment — injections of mind-numbing prose, surges of near-lethal syntax, ordeal by cliché — and you get an idea of this book, which aims higher than gossip but lands lower. There are interesting parallels between Porter and Coward, apart from style — domineering stage mothers, distant fathers, homosexuality at a time when it had to be hidden from the general public. And interesting differences in their clandestine sexual tastes, with Porter going after rough heterosexual truck drivers and Coward preferring handsome trophies from his own set. The authors have some discerning things to say about these points, yet they say them with a clumsiness that amounts to reckless endangerment. Have style and wit ever been written about with less style and wit? D
Genius & Lust: The Creative and Sexual Lives of Cole Porter and Noel Coward Think of a certain suave, urbane style that reigned in New York, London, Paris, the theater, and the movies in the '20s and '30s. Think of cigarettes,...Genius & Lust: The Creative and Sexual Lives of Cole Porter and Noel CowardBiography, MusicCole Porter, Noel Coward, George Mazzei, Joseph Morella Think of a certain suave, urbane style that reigned in New York, London, Paris, the theater, and the movies in the '20s and '30s. Think of cigarettes,...1995-12-01
Genre: Biography, Music; Author: Cole Porter, Noel Coward, George Mazzei, Joseph Morella
Posted December 1 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore in 'Miss You Already' trailer
- Zachary Levi will replace Josh Radnor on Broadway
- 'Madam Secretary': Eric Stoltz to play Téa Leoni's brother
- Shondaland stars throw wine at each other in new TGIT promos
- See Chloe Moretz in the first trailer for 'The 5th Wave'
- New 'AHS: Hotel' teasers: What do they mean?
- One Direction break six 2016 Guinness World Records
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!