How sad to see John Lithgow making insipid jokes on 3rd Rock From The Sun (NBC, Tuesdays, 8:30-9 p.m.), as an alien who takes human form on Earth. And not just insipid jokes—insipid breast jokes. Lithgow’s High Commander Dick Solomon and crew (Kristen Johnston, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and French Stewart) are here to observe our ways, which means lots of gauche My Favorite Martian humor, but with ’90s smut. Dick falls for a professor (Jane Curtin), and when they make plans to go out, he says, ”Be sure to wear something that shows the crack in your breasts.” The aliens mangle cliches (”I mean that from the heart of my bottom”), but it is Curtin who’s obliged to deliver the line ”Rub it—maybe it’ll go away.” I tried rubbing the tapes of this show, but it didn’t go away. D
Genre: Comedy; Lead Performer: Jane Curtin, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Kristen Johnston, John Lithgow, French Stewart; Performers: David DeLuise, Ileen Getz, Jan Hooks, Simbi Khali, Wayne Knight, Ian Lithgow, Larisa Oleynik, William Shatner, Elmarie Wendell; Guest Performer: Roseanne Barr, Ed Begley Jr., John Cleese, Cindy Crawford, Alan Cumming, Lauren Graham, Philip Baker Hall, Phil Hartman, John Mahoney, Laurie Metcalf, Megan Mullally, Dennis Rodman, Marla Sokoloff; Broadcaster: NBC
Posted December 22 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters