Sudden Death (Universal, R) In his 14th American film, Jean-Claude Van Damme is frozen stiff, battling a band of terrorists who are holding an arena of ice hockey fans hostage. Loaded Weapon auteur Gene Quintano’s mind-numbingly sadistic screenplay tries to be a comical Die Hard knockoff (in the movie’s absurdest moment, our hero kickboxes a guy in a penguin suit). But director Peter Hyams (Timecop) Zambonis any potential humor with inept editing and a plodding pace. The snoozeworthy supporting cast — Powers Boothe as the obligatory wisecracking criminal mastermind, Three’s Company’s Audra Lindley as one of ump-dozen victims — doesn’t help. J-C’s never going to get to play in the Bruce-Arnold-Sylvester leagues if he keeps making derivative drivel like this. The one saving grace: We’re spared the trademark shot of the Belgian musclehead’s bare derriere. D-
Sudden DeathSudden Death (Universal, R) In his 14th American film, Jean-Claude Van Damme is frozen stiff, battling a band of terrorists who...Sudden DeathSudden Death (Universal, R) In his 14th American film, Jean-Claude Van Damme is frozen stiff, battling a band of terrorists who...1995-12-22Raymond J. Barry
Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme; Starring: Raymond J. Barry; Director: Peter Hyams
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!