After a huge snowstorm blanketed the East Coast, shoveled-out stars — including Barbra Streisand, Sigourney Weaver, Penny Marshall, and Martin Scorsese — celebrated a blizzard of moviemaking in New York City. Eight major films, including Marshall’s The Preacher’s Wife, are shooting on Gotham’s icy streets this winter. Though the party was held at TriBeCa Film Center, owner Robert De Niro did not attend. He’s busy shooting The Fan in sunny Los Angeles.
1. Bronx boy Chazz Palminteri met up with Daniel of the Long Island Baldwins. Accents weren’t checked at the door.
2. Just asking: Does being married to the queen of trash TV make you king? Rob Sussman, an illustrator and the husband of Ricki Lake, posed with Saturday Night Live guest star Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and his wife, TV anchor Donna Hanover Giuliani, who was just cast in Milos Forman’s next film, a Larry Flynt biopic.
3. Making a crack and taking a break, George Segal, Barbra Streisand, and Lauren Bacall were in town shooting The Mirror Has Two Faces.
4. Delroy Lindo and Brooklyn-born John Turturro, two stars of last year’s Clockers, enjoyed an early reunion.
5. And while almost everyone wore jeans (at the urging of the party’s sponsor, Gap), cohost Martin Scorsese declined. Chatting with Harvey Keitel, the director stood out in a dark three-piece suit. His next movie, Kundun, the story of the Dalai Lama, is scheduled to begin Þlming this spring in India. Re-creating Tibet in Brooklyn would be too much of a stretch.