This limited edition of Amadeus, the classical equivalent of Purple Rain, doesn’t stint on bonuses: Along with a new letterboxed transfer and spruced up audio mix, there’s a documentary with six restored scenes, a two-CD soundtrack, and a copy of Peter Shaffer’s 1980 play. The movie looks and sounds glorious, and the commentary by director Milos Forman and Shaffer, who adapted his play for the screen, has a charmingly smutty edge (Forman notes that one prostitute gave syphilis to Mozart and Beethoven). Still, was Mozart really as goofy as Tom Hulce plays him?
Genre: Historical, Drama; Starring: F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hulce, Kenny Baker, Elizabeth Berridge, Simon Callow, Christine Ebersole, Jeffrey Jones, Cynthia Nixon; Director: Milos Forman; Author: Peter Shaffer; Runtime (in minutes): 158; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Orion Pictures
Posted February 16 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Happy Endings' creator teases new script: 'One of the friends dies'
- 'The Bachelor': Nick Viall suits up for first promo
- WATCH: 'Outlander' scoop: How Claire almost killed Dougal in Season 2
- 'The Walking Dead': What if Glenn lived? Steven Yeun speculates
- 'Great British Baking Show' hosts line up new gig
- Watch Calvin Harris' new video for break up anthem 'My Way'
- WATCH: 'Shark Tank': Kevin O'Leary explains why he's Mr. Wonderful