Tim Curry makes a fine, flashy Long John Silver, and charming newcomer Kevin Bishop is a lively, toothy young Jim Hawkins, but it’s Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat who make Muppet Treasure Island, the Muppets musical adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson, novel a hoot. The chatty pair play Jim’s chums as he tries to keep a treasure map from Silver aboard a ship commandeered by Captain Smollet, played by Kermit the Frog in a dainty Napoleonic uniform. As directed by Brian Henson (The Muppet Christmas Carol), the film is notably handsome in a dark, foreboding way. The Muppet action blends seamlessly with the human actors, and adults will be kept giggling with wittily anachronistic jokes about codependence, water-skiing, and Henry Kissinger. A few of the songs could have been shorter (but, as written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, probably no more clever), and the young audience is restless whenever that overrated windbag Miss Piggy (as, natch, Kermit’s love interest) is on screen. B+
Muppet Treasure Island Tim Curry makes a fine, flashy Long John Silver, and charming newcomer Kevin Bishop is a lively, toothy young Jim Hawkins, but it's Gonzo and Rizzo...Muppet Treasure IslandSci-fi and Fantasy, Action/AdventureJerry JuhlPT99MG Tim Curry makes a fine, flashy Long John Silver, and charming newcomer Kevin Bishop is a lively, toothy young Jim Hawkins, but it's Gonzo and Rizzo...1996-02-23Frank Oz
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Tim Curry, Kevin Bishop, Frank Oz; Director: Brian Henson; Author: Jerry Juhl; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: G
Posted February 23 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel