Director Alfonso Arau (Like Water for Chocolate) misplaces his magical touch with A Walk in the Clouds, a glossy postwar romance in which Reeves plays a traveling salesman who helps a troubled girl (Sanchez-Gijon) on a train to California’s wine country in 1945. She’s pregnant, unmarried, and heading home to her proud Mexican family. He tries to save her honor by posing as her husband and ends up falling in love with her. But who cares? For all its beautifully photographed scenery (which retains its golden glow on video), this film hasn’t a clue about the people in the foreground. Full of calculated plot turns and condescending stereotypes, it’s as romantic as a wine commercial. C-
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Keanu Reeves, Aitana Sanchez-Gijon, Giancarlo Giannini, Debra Messing, Anthony Quinn, Freddy Rodriguez; Director: Alfonso Arau; Author: Robert Mark Kamen; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 8 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Honest Trailers takes on 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'
- Paul Beatty's 'The Sellout' wins 2016 Man Booker Prize for fiction
- 'Saturday Night Live' election special to recap contentious campaign
- AFI Fest 2016: 'Moana,' 'Miss Sloane,' 'The Comedian' to world premiere
- Shia LaBeouf battles PTSD in new 'Man Down' trailer
- 'Moana' to be first Disney film translated into Tahitian language
- Fall TV's best and worst ratings performers so far
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop