In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld’s Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an unusual scam: Claiming to be a talent scout for a big Roman movie company, he drives around the country in a rattletrap truck plastered with Hollywood posters, hawking screen tests (and dreams of fame and fortune) to anyone able to cough up the necessary ”film development” fee. Joe gets lots of takers because, as writer-director Giuseppe Tornatore (who earlier proclaimed his cinephilia in Cinema Paradiso) demonstrates in this sweet but unexceptional movie (a Foreign Language Film nominee), even the most inarticulate of simple folk reveal shining souls when embraced by the magic of the movies. The meandering plot also pulls in Beata (Tiziana Lodato), a beautiful, sad young woman who, believing in happy Hollywood endings, falls in love with Joe, with dire melodramatic consequences.
The Star Maker In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...The Star MakerDramaGiuseppe TornatorePT113MR In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...1996-03-22Tiziana Lodato
Genre: Drama; Starring: Sergio Castellitto, Tiziana Lodato, Tiziana Lodato; Director: Giuseppe Tornatore; Author: Giuseppe Tornatore; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 22 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!