In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld’s Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an unusual scam: Claiming to be a talent scout for a big Roman movie company, he drives around the country in a rattletrap truck plastered with Hollywood posters, hawking screen tests (and dreams of fame and fortune) to anyone able to cough up the necessary ”film development” fee. Joe gets lots of takers because, as writer-director Giuseppe Tornatore (who earlier proclaimed his cinephilia in Cinema Paradiso) demonstrates in this sweet but unexceptional movie (a Foreign Language Film nominee), even the most inarticulate of simple folk reveal shining souls when embraced by the magic of the movies. The meandering plot also pulls in Beata (Tiziana Lodato), a beautiful, sad young woman who, believing in happy Hollywood endings, falls in love with Joe, with dire melodramatic consequences.
The Star Maker In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...The Star MakerDramaGiuseppe TornatorePT113MR In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...1996-03-22Tiziana Lodato
Genre: Drama; Starring: Sergio Castellitto, Tiziana Lodato, Tiziana Lodato; Director: Giuseppe Tornatore; Author: Giuseppe Tornatore; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 22 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Alison Brie joins Jenji Kohan's all-female wrestling series 'G.L.O.W.'
- Riz Ahmed on how 'The Night Of' captured the current zeitgeist
- Rudy Giuliani slams Beyoncé 'I saved more black lives' than her
- Jay Z, Beyoncé, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian hung out after the VMAs
- Britney Spears wants to collaborate with Justin Timberlake
- Lauren Conrad joins 'Laguna Beach' stars for Dieter Schmitz's wedding
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj get sweaty in 'Side to Side' video