In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld’s Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an unusual scam: Claiming to be a talent scout for a big Roman movie company, he drives around the country in a rattletrap truck plastered with Hollywood posters, hawking screen tests (and dreams of fame and fortune) to anyone able to cough up the necessary ”film development” fee. Joe gets lots of takers because, as writer-director Giuseppe Tornatore (who earlier proclaimed his cinephilia in Cinema Paradiso) demonstrates in this sweet but unexceptional movie (a Foreign Language Film nominee), even the most inarticulate of simple folk reveal shining souls when embraced by the magic of the movies. The meandering plot also pulls in Beata (Tiziana Lodato), a beautiful, sad young woman who, believing in happy Hollywood endings, falls in love with Joe, with dire melodramatic consequences.
The Star Maker In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...The Star MakerDramaGiuseppe TornatorePT113MR In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...1996-03-22Tiziana Lodato
Genre: Drama; Starring: Sergio Castellitto, Tiziana Lodato, Tiziana Lodato; Director: Giuseppe Tornatore; Author: Giuseppe Tornatore; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 22 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Legion' trailer: X-Men series debuts footage at Comic-Con
- James Corden joins Meghan Trainor to perform 'Like I'm Gonna Lose You'
- WATCH: 'The Magicians' cast on the troubles with finger tutting
- 'Pokémon Go' helping to support national parks
- WATCH: 'Son of Zorn' cast explains mix of animation and live action
- 'Grimm' costars David Giuntoli and Bitsie Tulloch are engaged
- WATCH: How 'The Walking Dead' is like a Twinkie