In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld’s Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an unusual scam: Claiming to be a talent scout for a big Roman movie company, he drives around the country in a rattletrap truck plastered with Hollywood posters, hawking screen tests (and dreams of fame and fortune) to anyone able to cough up the necessary ”film development” fee. Joe gets lots of takers because, as writer-director Giuseppe Tornatore (who earlier proclaimed his cinephilia in Cinema Paradiso) demonstrates in this sweet but unexceptional movie (a Foreign Language Film nominee), even the most inarticulate of simple folk reveal shining souls when embraced by the magic of the movies. The meandering plot also pulls in Beata (Tiziana Lodato), a beautiful, sad young woman who, believing in happy Hollywood endings, falls in love with Joe, with dire melodramatic consequences.
The Star Maker In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...The Star MakerDramaGiuseppe TornatorePT113MR In The Star Maker, Joe Morelli (Sergio Castellitto, looking something like Seinfeld's Kramer) is a con man in postwar Sicily with an...1996-03-22Tiziana Lodato
Genre: Drama; Starring: Sergio Castellitto, Tiziana Lodato, Tiziana Lodato; Director: Giuseppe Tornatore; Author: Giuseppe Tornatore; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 22 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- Steven Yeun on why Glenn has yet to kill another human on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Creed,' 'Empire,' 'Black-ish' win big at NAACP Image Awards
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?