Some things are funnier than a barrel of monkeys. Most things, frankly. And anything is funnier than Ed, which stars a barrel of puppeteers and gizmo guys as the eponymous chimp who plays third base for a minor-league ball team. When Ed is not breaking wind or belching — ah, Animal House’s fine legacy to American cinema! — he teaches the star pitcher (a stiff, curiously bronzed Matt LeBlanc, from Friends) how to break out of his pitching slump and how to ask a woman (a steadfastly plucky Jayne Brook, from Chicago Hope) on a date. Why Bill Couturie, who produced the affecting AIDS-quilt docu Common Threads, took on this howler is as mysterious as the theory of evolution. Why LeBlanc gave up hiatus for the role is as mysterious as Hollywood. And, God forbid you forget for a minute that the actor is a cast member of That Certain Sitcom, there’s a scene in which the cheesily animatronic chimp channel-surfs — and just happens to click onto a sitcom moment in which Rachel (a girl on Friends) interacts with Marcel (a monkey on Friends). What are the odds?!
Genre: Comedy, Kids and Family; Starring: Matt LeBlanc, Jayne Brook, Jack Warden; Director: Bill Couturie; Author: David M. Evans; Release Date Wide: 03/15/1996; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Universal
Posted March 29 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Doctor Who': Steven Moffat says 'Heaven Sent' is 'creepiest' episode yet
- Re-live brilliant Bonnaroo moments from Mumford & Sons, D'Angelo, and more in Thanksgiving video
- Which Frankenstein would you date?
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 5, 'The New Normal'
- Laurie Metcalf talks Misery villain: 'I'm golden to go as violent as I want'
- Erykah Badu announces release date for new phone-themed mixtape
- The Olsen twins are officially not in 'Fuller House'
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year