Truly amoral movies provide a special, kinky pleasure — they can put you in touch with your inner scoundrel — and the first feature film from writer-director Benjamin Ross has this ticklish deviousness; it’s like a Charles Addams cartoon directed by Hitchcock. Based on the early-1960s case of Graham Young, a teenager from the London suburbs who became obsessed with poisoning people, The Young Poisoner’s Handbook seduces us into viewing the most appalling acts with smirky, jaundiced detachment. After racking up several victims (including his own stepmother), Graham is apprehended, sent to a state mental hospital, and ”rehabilitated” by a staff psychiatrist — at which point he returns to society and promptly resumes poisoning. As Graham, Hugh O’Conor, with his big, dark, unblinking eyes (he looks like a handsome owl), almost convinces you that homicide is a reasonable extension of adolescent rebelliousness. He’s Holden Caulfield with a toxicology fetish.
The Young Poisoner's HandbookTruly amoral movies provide a special, kinky pleasure — they can put you in touch with your inner scoundrel — and the first feature film...The Young Poisoner's HandbookMystery and ThrillerBenjamin RossPT99MUnratedTruly amoral movies provide a special, kinky pleasure — they can put you in touch with your inner scoundrel — and the first feature film...1996-03-29
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Hugh O'Conor, Ruth Sheen; Director: Benjamin Ross; Author: Benjamin Ross; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted March 29 1996 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!